Today is the 4th day of the 26th week, the 27th day of the 6th month, the 178th day of 2018 [with only 180 shopping days left before Christmas], and:
- "Happy Birthday to You" Day -- A composer and educator, Mildred Hill was born on today's date in 1859, but she is best remembered because she wrote the song's melody
- Decide to Be Married Day
- Helen Keller Day
- Industrial Workers of the World Day – ironically the US Supreme Court delivers a controversial decision against organized labor today
- Micro-, Small-, And Medium-Sized Enterprises Day
- National HIV Testing Day
- National Ice Cream Cake Day
- National Indian Pudding Day
- National Orange Blossom Day
- National Parchment or Parchment Cooking Day
- National Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Awareness Day
- Sunglasses Day
- Windjammer Day
ON THIS DAY IN ...
1358 – The Republic of Ragusa is founded. ((For those that have no idea who or what the Republic of Ragusa is [like me], it is a maritime republic centered on the city of Dubrovnik and located within present-day Croatia)).
1844 – Joseph Smith, founder of the Latter Day Saint movement, and his brother Hyrum Smith, are killed by a mob at the Carthage, Illinois jail.
1895 – The inaugural run of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad's Royal Blue from Washington, D.C., to New York City, the first U.S. passenger train to use electric locomotives.
1898 – The first solo circumnavigation of the globe is completed by Joshua Slocum from Briar Island, Nova Scotia.
1954 – The Obninsk Nuclear Power Plant, the Soviet Union's first nuclear power station, opens in Obninsk, near Moscow.
1954 – The 1954 FIFA World Cup quarterfinal match between Hungary and Brazil, highly anticipated to be exciting, instead turns violent, with three players ejected and further fighting continuing after the game.
1971 – After only three years in business, rock promoter Bill Graham closes Fillmore East in New York, the "Church of Rock and Roll".
1982 – Space Shuttle Columbia launched from the Kennedy Space Center on the final research and development flight mission, STS-4.
2013 – NASA launches the Interface Region Imaging Spectrograph, a space probe to observe the Sun.
And for Wordless Wednesday, I offer:
There are days I hate ageing
|0 Comments | Add Comment | Permalink | Wednesday, June 27, 2018|