Today is the 2nd day of the 7th week, the 13th day in the 2nd month, the 44th day of 2023, and:
Quote of the day:
- Clean Out Your Computer Day
- Desperation Day – actually the name of the 15th episode of the sixth season of How I met Your Mother and I have no idea why it made the actual holiday list, but here it is
- Dream Your Sweet Day
- Employee Legal Awareness Day
- Galentine’s Day – another day that comes from a sitcom, this one is supposed to celebrate the platonic relationships in your life
- Get a Different Name Day
- International Condom Day – well it sounds like a good idea to stock up if you are planning a romantic interlude tomorrow, neh?
- International Epilepsy Day
- International Kissing Day
- International Natural Day
- Madly In Love With Me Day
- Meal Monday
- National Break Up With Your Carrier Day – the corporate shills would like you to decide whether or not you are happy with your mobile provider.
- National Cheddar Day
- National Crab Rangoon Day
- National Football Hangover Day – rather self-explanatory since it is always the day after the SuperBowl
- National Poop Day – yes it is an actual holiday
- National Tortellini Day
- Oatmeal Monday
- Popcorn Day
- Self-Love Day
- World Radio Day
“Overconsumption and overpopulation underlie every environmental problem we face today.”
~ Jacques Yves Cousteau, French Naval officer, oceanographer, filmmaker and author.
A couple days ago, I posted an article talking about the increasing threats to democracy as right-wing autocrats take hold of developed country’s governments in the name of preserving “traditional” power and religious structures. All too often what happens is that an existing majority suddenly realizes that diversity and changing demographics are eroding their privileged positions in society and they are reacting violently in an attempt to cling to those advantages.
The fact is the world population is shifting dramatically, so that the population growth is happening in low and lower middle income countries:
And the resentment towards those few millionaires who are clinging to 85% of the world’s wealth is growing.