things haven't changed for some of us
Today is the 5th day of the 39th week, the 27th day of the 9th month, the 270th day of 2018, and:
On this very day 27 years ago, the Senate Judiciary Committee was deadlocked, 7-7, on the nomination of Clarence Thomas to the Supreme Court after the testimony of Anita Hill. Thomas, who was nominated by George W Bush, assumed office in October 1991, and is now the senior Justice and generally viewed as the most conservative member of the court. He is also known for almost never speaking during oral arguments. Today we have another woman, Christine Blasey Ford, testifying before the same committee [indeed, before five of the same men] about another Supreme Court lifetime appointee.
- Ancestor Appreciation Day
- Google's Birthday
- National Chocolate Milk Day
- National Corned Beef Hash Day
- National Crush a Can Day
- National Gay Men's HIV/AIDS Awareness Day
- Native American Women's Equal Pay Day
- Remember Me Thursday
- World Maritime Day
- World Tourism Day
I would like to point out two things:
First-- We are hearing the same old excuses for unacceptable behavior that we have heard again and again and again:
Now imagine your daughters or granddaughters just entering puberty reading or hearing all this in the news. And don’t forget the teenage boys they will be with are getting these messages too.
- “Attempted” rape is not a crime because nothing actually happened
- It was a long time ago. You can’t be held accountable for something that happened 36 years ago!
- Boys will be boys. He was just 17and he was drunk and horny, and inappropriate behavior is just natural
- He is a good man, a pillar of his faith and community
- He says he didn’t do it. ((He says he didn’t do anything to the other women who have come forward either))
Second -- just think about the victim shaming and questioning that is going on. Now remember the other big sex scandal that recently broke -- have you heard anyone ridiculing any man who came forward with allegations of being molested by a Catholic priest after 35 years of silence? Asked why they didn’t come forward sooner? Called sluts? Had to move because their phone numbers and addresses were posted in social media? Told they were mixed up or confused or asked for it because of the way they were dressed or what they were drinking or where they were at the time? Asked why they want to ruin a good man’s life?
I thought we were further along than this.
Apparently I was wrong.
|0 Comments | Add Comment | Permalink | Thursday, September 27, 2018|