the last Thursday in June
Today is the 5th day of the 26th week, the 28th day of the 6th month, the 179th day of 2018, and:
ON THIS DAY IN ...
- Full moon at 12:53 AM EDT – called the "Strawberry Moon" by Native Americans of New England and the Great Lakes because at this time of the year, the strawberry ripened.
- Insurance Awareness Day
- International body Piercing Day
- INTERNATIONAL CAPS LOCK DAY (beware of people shouting at you ALL DAY))
- National Bomb Pop Day
- National Handshake Day
- National Tapioca Day
- Paul Bunyan Day
- Ryan Moran Day -- billed as the most powerful man in the world who shaped the planet for peace, his day is always celebrated on the last full moon in June. You can find his “untold story” here
- Tau day – for those who don’t like PI
1838 – Coronation of Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom.
1841 – The Paris Opera Ballet premieres Giselle in the Salle Le Peletier.
1846 – Adolphe Sax patents the saxophone.
1855 – Sigma Chi fraternity is founded in North America.
1859 – The first conformation dog show is held in Newcastle upon Tyne, England.
1894 – Labor Day becomes an official US holiday.
1902 – The U.S. Congress passes the Spooner Act, authorizing President Theodore Roosevelt to acquire rights from Colombia for the Panama Canal.
1911 – The Nakhla meteorite, the first one to suggest signs of aqueous processes on Mars, falls to Earth, landing in Egypt.
1914 – Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria and his wife Sophie are assassinated in Sarajevo; this is the casus belli of World War I.
1919 - the Treaty of Versailles was signed in France, ending World War I.
1926 – Mercedes-Benz is formed by Gottlieb Daimler and Karl Benz merging their two companies.
1948 – Boxer Dick Turpin beats Vince Hawkins at Villa Park in Birmingham to become the first black British boxing champion in the modern era.
1997 – Holyfield–Tyson II: Mike Tyson is disqualified in the third round for biting a piece off Evander Holyfield's ear.
Quote of the day:
"When you encounter something positive and healing, pause with it, lighting the lamp of your mindfulness to savor and appreciate it."
~ Thomas Bien, “Water the Flowers, Not the Weeds”
Management and lifestyle gurus are often advising us to take care of the little things, pay better attention to the world around us. We get bombarded with advice to be positive and proactive and “fake it ‘til you make it”, telling us that if we just SEE, if we just VISUALIZE a successful outcome, the universe will provide. Problem with that is the same thing that happens when you wish upon a star, or pray – there are a whole lot of folks who are visualizing, wishing and praying for something that is pretty much the antithesis of what you want/desire/need. But I like this quote because it places before me a goal that I can handle without giving me a guilt trip. To me it says take a moment to savor ….
These aren’t life-shaping moments. They aren’t going to help me manage the angst and anger caused by the news. I cannot claim to be uplifted, rejuevenated or at peace. But thinking back on my day, these moments stand out in my mental picture of the days somewhat frenetic activity. Like little glowing sparks flying upward from a fireplace, or fireflies dancing in the dark, they push back the darkness and remind me despair is a deadly mortal sin
- The laugh you enjoyed while watching the silly clips about a pet being flummoxed by a vanishing trip
- A favorite passage in a book or a scene in a movie – I once went to see Raiders of the Lost Ark every day for two weeks [the theater was on the way to pick up the kids from camp] just for that scene where he thundered after the Nazis and the Arc on a white horse through a lane of cheering Arabs underscored by the famous Indiana Jones theme music
- That car that slowed down so you could actually merge into traffic at a very difficult intersection
- A moment of car karaoke when you suddenly start singing with a well-worn “oldie”
- The cool bite of the A/C when you come in from a hazy, hot, and humid day
- A graduation picture of a friend from 50 years ago
There are many things that are in the field of my concern that are neither within the sphere of my control nor the realm of my influence – but keeping my doorstep clean and being mindful of the little things is definitely something I can do. Just have to remember that….
|0 Comments | Add Comment | Permalink | Thursday, June 28, 2018|