the first 3-day weekend of 2020
Today is the 6th day of the 3rd week, the 17th day of the 1st month, the 17th day of 2020, and:
- Ben Franklin Day - he was born on this day in 1706 to a soap and candle maker in England
- Cable Car Day - the first cable car patented, by Andrew Smith Hallidie in the US in 1871 (begins service in 1873)
- Customer Service Day
- Ditch New Year’s Resolutions Day
- Hot-Buttered Rum Day
- International Fetish Day
- International Mentoring Day (Muhammad Ali's birthday)
- Judgement Day
- Kid Inventors' Day
- National Bootlegger's Day
- National Hot Heads Chili Day
- Popeye Day - he first appeared in the Thimble Theater comic strip on this day in 1929
- The opening ceremony of Patras Carnival, celebrated until Clean Monday
- The last quarter of the moon at 7:58 AM EST
ON THIS DAY IN ...
1377 – Pope Gregory XI reaches Rome, after deciding to move the Papacy back to Rome from Avignon.
1524 – Giovanni da Verrazzano sets sail westward from Madeira to find a sea route to the Pacific Ocean.
1584 - Bohemia adopts Gregorian calendar
1773 – Captain James Cook leads the first expedition to sail south of the Antarctic Circle.
1779 - Captain James Cook's last notation in Discovery's ship's log
1904 – Anton Chekhov's The Cherry Orchard receives its premiere performance at the Moscow Art Theatre.
1905 - Punchboards patented by Charles Brewer and C G Scannell in Chicago
1912 – British polar explorer Captain Robert Falcon Scott reaches the South Pole, one month after Roald Amundsen.
1923 - Origin of Brown lunation numbers
1928 - the first fully automatic photographic film developing machine patented
1946 – The UN Security Council holds its first session.
1950 – The Great Brink's Robbery: Eleven thieves steal more than $2 million from an armored car company's offices in Boston.
1961 - President Dwight D. Eisenhower delivers a televised farewell address to the nation three days before leaving office, in which he warns against the accumulation of power by the "military-industrial complex".
1969 - Soviet spacecraft Soyuz 5 lands
1976 - "I Write the Songs" by Barry Manilow hits #1
1979 - USSR performs underground nuclear test
1980 - NASA launches Fltsatcom-3
2001 - President Bill Clinton posthumously raises Meriwether Lewis' rank from Lieutenant to Captain
2007 – The Doomsday Clock is set to five minutes to midnight in response to North Korea's nuclear testing. It is currently set to two minutes to midnight
I have a job. I have benefits – which includes paid-time-off and paid holidays
Life is good!
|0 Comments | Add Comment | Permalink | Friday, January 17, 2020|