Pluto is a planet.
Today is the 6th day of the 34th week, the 24th day of the 8th month, the 236th day of 2018, and:
- Can Opener Day
- International Day Against Intolerance, Discrimination, and Violence Based on Musical Preferences, Lifestyle, and Dress Code
- International Strange Music Day
- National Knife Day
- National Peach Pie Day
- National Waffle Day
- National Waffle Iron Day
- Pluto Demoted Day -- In 2006, the International Astronomical Union declared that the 9th planet was not exactly a planet after all, but something called a “dwarf planet” as part their classification of planets, dwarf planets, rogue planets, and exoplanets, protoplanets, and planetesimals
- Shooting Star Day
- Vesuvius Day
- Wayzgoose Day -- an entertainment given by a master printer to his workmen each year on or about St Bartholomew's Day (24 August). It marked the traditional end of summer and the start of the season of working by candlelight
- Weather Complaint Day
- William Wilberforce Day -- born on this day 259 years ago, he was an English politician known as a leader of the movement to stop the slave trade.
- World Daffodil Day ((I thought this was in the spring, actually for daffodils aren’t blooming in the Northern Hemisphere this time of year, but maybe they are in the Southern Hemisphere?))
ON THIS DAY IN ...
79 – Mount Vesuvius erupts. The cities of Pompeii, Herculaneum, and Stabiae are buried in volcanic ash (note: this traditional date has been challenged, and many scholars believe that the event occurred on October 24).
394 – The Graffito of Esmet-Akhom, the latest known inscription in Egyptian hieroglyphs, was written.
410 – The Visigoths under king Alaric I begin to pillage Rome.
455 – The Vandals, led by king Genseric, begin to plunder Rome. Pope Leo I requests Genseric not destroy the ancient city or murder its citizens. He agrees and the gates of Rome are opened. However, the Vandals loot a great amount of treasure.
1215 – Pope Innocent III declares Magna Carta invalid.
1456 – The printing of the Gutenberg Bible is completed.
1608 – The first official English representative to India lands in Surat.
1662 – The Act of Uniformity requires England to accept the Book of Common Prayer.
1682 – William Penn receives the area that is now the state of Delaware, and adds it to his colony of Pennsylvania.
1690 – Job Charnock of the East India Company establishes a factory in Calcutta, an event formerly considered the founding of the city (in 2003 the Calcutta High Court ruled that the city's foundation date is unknown).
1891 – Thomas Edison patents the motion picture camera.
1909 – Workers start pouring concrete for the Panama Canal.
1932 – Amelia Earhart becomes the first woman to fly across the United States non-stop (from Los Angeles to Newark, New Jersey).
1967 – Led by Abbie Hoffman, the Youth International Party temporarily disrupts trading at the New York Stock Exchange by throwing dollar bills from the viewing gallery, causing trading to cease as brokers scramble to grab them.
1968 - France became the world's fifth thermonuclear power as it exploded a hydrogen bomb in the South Pacific.
1989 – Cincinnati Reds manager Pete Rose is banned from baseball for gambling by Commissioner A. Bartlett Giamatti.
1995 – Microsoft Windows 95 was released to the public in North America.
1998 – First radio-frequency identification (RFID) human implantation tested in the United Kingdom.
2003 – NASA Spitzer Space Telescope launched Thanks for all the amazing views of our universe! https://go.nasa.gov/2Mrj1wh
2018 - NASA Voyager is 19 hrs 47 mins 52 secs of light-travel time from Earth
Even as the news that there might, maybe be another planet on an odd orbit in our Solar System, even as Horizons took so many pictures of Pluto and its moons, the debate over Pluto has raged. There are those [like myself] who learned at a very young age there were NINE planets, and had become attached to that furthest celestial body. Nine – not eight. Nine – not ten [2003 UB313] Nine – not 12 [Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Ceres, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto, Charon and 2003 UB313. The name 2003 UB313 is provisional, as a “real” name has not yet been assigned to this object].
If that makes me an anachronism, so be it.
|0 Comments | Add Comment | Permalink | Friday, August 24, 2018|