perchance to dream
Today is the 5th day of the 36th week, the 13th day of the 9th month, the 256th day of 2018, and:
- Bald is Beautiful Day
- Fortune Cookie Day
- International Chocolate Day
- Kids Take Over the Kitchen Day
- National Celiac Awareness Cay
- National Defy Superstition Day
- National Peanut Day
- Positive Thinking Day
- Programmers' Day -- On the 256th day of the year, was chosen because it is the number of distinct values that can be represented with an eight-bit byte, and is also the highest power of two that is less than 365, the number of days in a common year.
- R U OK Day [Australia] -- a national day of action in September dedicated to reminding people to ask family, friends and colleagues the question, "R U OK?", in a meaningful way, because connecting regularly and meaningfully is one thing everyone can do to make a difference to anyone who might be struggling.
- Roald Dahl Day – the children’s author’s 101st birthday is today
- Scooby-Doo Day – it is his birthday
- Snack a Pickle Day
- Uncle Sam Day - became official in 1989, when a joint resolution of Congress designated September 13 "Uncle Sam Day". This date was selected, as "Uncle Sam" Wilson was born on September 13, 1776.
ON THIS DAY IN ...
1501 – Michelangelo begins work on his statue of David.
1504 – Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand issue a Royal Warrant for the construction of a Royal Chapel (Capilla Real) to be built.
1541 – After three years of exile, John Calvin returns to Geneva to reform the church under a body of doctrine known as Calvinism.
1584 – San Lorenzo del Escorial Palace in Madrid is finished.
1609 – Henry Hudson reaches the river that would later be named after him – the Hudson River.
1814 – In a turning point in the War of 1812, the British fail to capture Baltimore. During the battle, Francis Scott Key composes his poem "Defence of Fort McHenry", which is later set to music and becomes the United States' national anthem.
1848 – Vermont railroad worker Phineas Gage survives an iron rod 1 1⁄4 inches (3.2 cm) in diameter being driven through his brain; the reported effects on his behavior and personality stimulate thinking about the nature of the brain and its functions.
1898 – Hannibal Goodwin patents celluloid photographic film.
1899 – Henry Bliss is the first person in the United States to be killed in an automobile accident.
1899 – Mackinder, Ollier and Brocherel make the first ascent of Batian (5,199 m – 17,058 ft), the highest peak of Mount Kenya.
1906 – The Santos-Dumont 14-bis makes a short hop, the first flight of a fixed-wing aircraft in Europe.
1949 - The Ladies Professional Golf Association of America was formed in New York City.
1956 – The dike around the Dutch polder East Flevoland is closed.
1985 – Super Mario Bros. is released in Japan for the NES, which starts the Super Mario series of platforming games.
1987 – Goiânia accident: A radioactive object is stolen from an abandoned hospital in Goiânia, Brazil, contaminating many people in the following weeks and causing some to die from radiation poisoning.
1990 - "Law & Order" premiered on NBC.
2001 – Civilian aircraft traffic resumes in the United States after the September 11 attacks.
2007 – The Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples is adopted by the United Nations General Assembly.
2018 - NASA Voyager is 19 hrs 51 mins 48 secs of light-travel time from Earth
Quote of the day:
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
~ Jane Wagner, American writer, director and producer
Man of La Mancha was a musical that came out in 1965 based on the 17th Century novel Don Quixote. This quote sums up how I feel about “reality”:
“Life as it is. I've lived for over 40 years and I've seen life as it is. Pain. Misery. Cruelty beyond belief. I've heard all the voices of God's noblest creature. Moans from bundles of filth in the street. I've been a soldier and a slave. I've seen my comrades fall in battle or die more slowly under the lash in Africa. I've held them in my arms at the final moment. These were men who saw life as it is, yet they died despairing. No glory, no brave last words, only their eyes, filled with confusion, questioning "Why?" I do not think they were asking why they were dying, but why they had ever lived. When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? Perhaps to be too practical is madness To surrender dreams - -this may be madness; to seek treasure where there is only trash. Too much sanity may be madness! And maddest of all - to see life as it is and not as it should be!”
Now excuse me, that monstrous giant of infamous repute with four great arms whirling at his back needs to be chastised.
May you never forget how to dream an Impossible Dream
|0 Comments | Add Comment | Permalink | Thursday, September 13, 2018|