Today is the 2nd day of the 30th week, the 22nd day of the 7th month, the 203rd day of 2019, and:
- Fragile X Awareness Day - About 1 in 151 females and 1 in 468 males carry the fragile X permutation, which causes different developmental issues
- Global Hug Your Kid Day
- Hammock Day - Developed by the Mayans of Central and South America for sleeping or resting, a hammock is a sling made of fabric, rope or netting, which is suspended between two points such as posts or trees.
- Lion's Share Day – did you know the saying comes from one of Aesop’s Fables?
- National Penuche Fudge Day - according to Wikipedia, Penuche is a fudge-like candy made from brown sugar, butter, and milk, using no flavorings except for vanilla.
- National Ratcatcher's Day - commemorates the Pied Piper of Hamlin
- PI Approximation day [AKA Casual Pi Day] – 22/7 is a common approximation of π
- Spoonerism Day - Today is the birthday of William Archibald Spooner, a long-serving Oxford don with a reputation for absent-mindedness, and a tendency to mangle the syllables in a spoken phrase
- Summer Leisure Day
ON THIS DAY IN...
1633 - Galileo Galilei forced to recant his Copernican views that the Earth orbits the Sun by the Pope (Vatican only admits it was wrong on Oct 31, 1992)
1847 - First ring doughnut supposedly created by Hanson Gregory [or did he invent the doughnut hole?)
1874 - Dr Andrew T Still, discovers the science of osteopathy
1874 - Game of lawn tennis introduced
1939 - Princes (future Queen) Elizabeth meets future husband Prince Philip of Greece (Midshipman Mountbatten, RN)
1947 - a record setting 12" rain falls in 42 mins (Holt, MO)
1959 - Vanguard SLV-6 launched for Earth orbit (failed)
1972 - "Man of La Mancha" opens at Beaumont Theater NYC for 140 performances
1976 - "Godspell" opens at Broadhurst Theater NYC for 527 performances
1977 - Walt Disney's "Rescuers" released, first Disney film to get a sequel
1978 - James Christy's discovery of Pluto's moon Charon announced
1980 - Pope John Paul II beatifies Kateri Tekakwitha, making her the 1st Native American to be beatified
1983 - first time a satellite is retrieved from orbit by Space Shuttle
1989 - Business Day reports that SA is about to test an intermediate range ballistic missile capable of carrying nuclear warheads
1991 - Underwater volcano, Mount Didicas, erupts in Philippines
2015 - JAMA Internal Medical Journal announces obese Americans now outnumber those just overweight
2019 - NASA Voyager is 20 hrs 11 mins 33 secs of light-travel time from Earth
Quote of the day:
"The fact that we don’t know—that nothing is certain and we therefore can’t hold on to anything—can evoke fear and depression, but it can also evoke a sense of wonder, curiosity, and freedom. Some of our best moments come when we haven’t yet decided what will happen next."
~ Elizabeth Mattis Namgyel, “Open Stillness”
There is something wrong with any month that has five Mondays and only four Fridays.
|0 Comments | Add Comment | Permalink | Monday, July 22, 2019|