"it cannot happen here" syndrome
Today is the 4th day of the 24th week, the 13th day of the 6th month, the 164th day of 2018, and:
ON THIS DAY IN ...
- Brain Injury Awareness Day
- International Albinism Awareness Day
- National Kitchen Klutzes of America Day
- New Moon at 3:43 pm EDT
- Random Acts of Light Day
- Roller Coaster Day
- Sewing Machine Day
- Weed Your Garden Day
313 – The Edict of Milan, signed by Constantine the Great and co-emperor Valerius Licinius granting religious freedom throughout the Roman Empire, is posted in Nicomedia.
1805 – Lewis and Clark Expedition: scouting ahead of the expedition, Meriwether Lewis and four companions sight the Great Falls of the Missouri River.
1881 – The USS Jeannette is crushed in an Arctic Ocean ice pack.
1927 – Aviator Charles Lindbergh receives a ticker tape parade down 5th Avenue in New York City.
1966 – The United States Supreme Court rules in Miranda v. Arizona that the police must inform suspects of their rights before questioning them.
1971 – The New York Times begins publication of the Pentagon Papers, a secret study of America's involvement in Vietnam..
1983 – Pioneer 10 becomes the first man-made object to leave the central Solar System when it passes beyond the orbit of Neptune.
2002 – The United States withdraws from the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty.
2005 - Pop star Michael Jackson is found not guilty of all charges after a four-month-long child abuse trial -- he had been accused of molesting a 13-year-old cancer survivor at his Neverland ranch.
2018 - NASA Voyager is 19 hrs 36 mins 53 secs of light-travel time from Earth
There is a reason why I don’t watch the news anymore – I cannot stomach it.
- Suggesting that political opponents be jailed
- Suggesting that the press is the enemy
- Praising dictators
- Attacking allies
- Lost children, then trying to blame your political opponents for your actions
- Russian meddling in our election process
- Enriching oneself at the expense of the public, whether by the President, by relatives, or by cabinet members
- The end of net neutrality
- It’s not about the cake
- Gutting the ACA so that insurance companies can reject those with pre-existing conditions [including pregnancy], charge more just because you are older [high-risk pool], and re-establish lifetime caps
And ALL of this is just a week or so in the news. I could go on – but I won’t. But is my detachment encouraging the very things that are making me bilious? I keep thinking about Germany in the late 1930’s. I have a history textbook that was published in 1937 [which means it was written about a year before then] and it cannot say enough nice things about Hitler and how he was rejuvenating Germany. He put the men back to work, began a huge program of public works including planting forests, creating the autobahns, and building hospitals and schools. He motivated the people, developed a sense of German pride, and convinced them that they deserved better. So they missed the warning signs of what was to come….
The analogy many people use is how to boil a frog. Am I, are we sitting in a pot right now?
|0 Comments | Add Comment | Permalink | Wednesday, June 13, 2018|